Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Where is Our Refuge?

I was reminded of a story this week. You remember the story in mark chapter 2 about four friends who lower a paralytic man on a mat down from the roof too where Jesus was teaching. The room was so full that they had to go up to the roof, probably up a ladder then break through the roof just to see Jesus then they lowered him down.

What true and faithful friends. 

This week at the Saturday Lunch I was busy running around cleaning and getting food and looking after four kids.  A group of street people came asking for food. I recognized most of them. I said “hi it will be ready in a little bit , they are making it”  not really paying close attention to them. After a while I noticed a man bent over in obvious pain with what looked like a broken leg. He was sitting with a gentleman I had meet months before. I started to talk with them. The man in pain was in his early forties and his friend was telling me he had not eaten in 6 days and the food was hurting his stomach so bad that he had tears in his eyes. His friend went on telling me that he was in to much pain with his leg that he couldn’t get up from where he lives on the street to find food. So he had to help him find food and bring him to the only place he knew of that offers free food. I really wanted to know the situation so I got my friend who is Brazilian. He talked with him and found out that his leg had been broken for one year, probably seriously infected. My friend phoned for a ambulance for the man. He was shaking and a lot of pain plus his leg looked pretty horrible. I got to pray for him and ask him about Jesus. He said he knew Jesus and had a relationship with him. He didn’t have a bible so we gave him one. The ambulance came and took him away.  He was on our minds all day. My friend gave them his number and told them to call him and let them know what had happened and if he had gotten medical treatment. I found out that night that they changed his bandages and sent him home, back on the streets with nothing but his pain and of course his friend.

That next morning my heart was heavy with sadness and compassion for this man and many others who showed up. One who is a girl 7 months pregnant living on the street and an obvious user. All I could do is cry out to God to comfort me and those hurting. I believe the Lord spoke to me and reminded me of his suffering here on earth and his compassion. What He seen and those he healed and that he had times where He had to cry out to God and pray for strength. How much more he loves and cares than I do. It is so much more than physical pain and suffering that He cares about. It’s our souls, our eternity. I prayed for their hearts to soften to His. That they would allow His healing in their lives and for His word to transform their lives. I only pray God uses me to help in the process, for their lives or for someone else. God also put few versus on my heart, for me and for the hurting

Psalms 28:8 The Lord is the strength of His people; He is the saving refuge of His anointed. 9. Oh, save your people and bless your heritage! Be their shepherd and carry them forever.

Proverbs 23:26 My son, give me your heart, and let your eyes observe my ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment