Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Order

The way God works is rarely what we expect. We are concerned with one thing and he is busy moving and doing things outside our field of vision. We went on vacation while going to get some papers we needed from the US embassy. During that time we were hoping to have God reveal for us more of our next steps. We have been in Brazil over a year and God seems to be directing that it is time to move more and more into our own ministry. Meaning more of a daily planned out, thought out, targeted ministry. I thought what we needed was to hear God say “stay in Foz and go to Porto Meira” or “Move to Rio de Janeiro and work with Aleixandre on the new property of theirs” perhaps “move to the Pantanal and begin a work with the simple farm workers there”. As a fishermen I was rooting for the Pantanal.

The funny thing is as we traveled and observed churches, pastors and missionaries. Even though we were on vacation. What I heard was God telling me to look at the fluidity of those whose lives are in order. What I seen is there is a big difference with those whose lives have a sense of order. Not everyone has the same amount of money. Not everyone who is in order looks the same. Some work part time, some go to school part time, some just work with the church but they all have a schedule. They all have routine.

How do I now apply this to my life. Well, I have desired more routine, more control but have been waiting to get busy so I would need a schedule. I then got busy but it had no continuity. Everything was in a different direction and I got tired. We have some kids that had been coming to church but our church isn’t equipped for children’s ministry, not at the same time as adults. So we started a Sunday afternoon program for them but this is a difficult time to get help. I was cooking food for Wed after service and running kind of a soup kitchen on Saturdays. This left me busy but not putting together a team for Sunday afternoons. I felt really good for a couple months. I was finally busy and feeling like a real missionary. Unfortunately I was watching what was going on and unhappy with the results.

“Vacation” helped me see nothing has been flowing together. I am currently reacting versus acting. In order to correct this I am going to stop a few things but more importantly schedule more. In order to get where we believe God is calling us we need to constantly prepare. I need to concentrate first on time with Him and the study of His word. If I want to disciple these kids, reach there parents, be fruitful in ministry I need to put far more hours into myself then I give. I already do good with my devotional life but I want it more scheduled so that I miss fewer days. Things come up, but if you are late on starting your devotions things come up more often. I am going to spend at least 3 hours a day 3 days a week preparing studies on certain topics and perhaps certain books of the bible. I am going to set aside an evening to meet with people who want to help with the youth outreach. I am going to set aside time to pray with the family. This fell away as we got busy but must return. I am going to be realistic. I am not a live by a calendar person. So I must have flexibility and real goals for change.

I believe the end result of scheduling and disciplining my time will be fruitful ministry wherever I go. Ministry that flows together and is productive not just busyness. I believe this will also help us to hear more clearly where God may lead us. He can’t lead us further until we learn to be disciplined here, it is His mercy.

1 comment:

  1. Schedules are hard....lack of schedules are hard too. Its cool how God used a vacation as a growing experience for you guys!

    ReplyDelete