Monday, June 20, 2011

Tired, confused, excited, hesitant……

There is no end of words we could use to describe our state of mind. God is beginning to do things we aren’t ready for. 2 months ago we were thinking of moving to another city because nothing was happening, now I am completely overwhelmed. What do we do with what is happening?

It isn’t like we had some word from the Lord “Go to this neighborhood and start something with these kids”. Frankly we were bored and looking for something to “mess around with” while waiting for what God might be leading us too. We thought we would be going to another city and perhaps taking over a kids ministry there. We don’t want to start something. We don’t “KNOW” Portuguese, we don’t know where to begin with so many problems in front of us.

However, yesterday we went to their neighborhood where Melissa and Jerus played soccer with them. As I walked the streets, where there was at least a couple hundred people all I could hear was Ben look at me, sit here, Ben what city are you from, Ben come here, hey kombi man. It was like I have 50 kids. Melissa being one of them, she was in her skirt and nice shirt from doing kids ministry and covered in red dirt head to toe. Lori and I were watching the game and I mentioned how dirty Vitor was, a very cute, very toublemaking half of a set of boy girl twins. Vitor and Vitoria, they really are special. Lori responded “have you seen Melissa”.

Where it is taking us we don’t know but this I do. When I woke up this morning the little part of me that always feels bad about raising support, asking for money and the idea that the money is for us, was gone. I realized we aren’t raising support so we can live in Brazil, we are raising money for them. Right now, they are on track to rinse and repeat.  They are going to repeat the life of their parents, of their community, of poverty, of drugs, sex, hopelessness and violence. When we are looking for support it isn’t because we don’t want to work. Believe me, I want to go back, start my business again and by a couch that doesn’t kill my back. Give my kids birthday presents and parties, see my daughter start middle school with Jessica and Molly.

The next 6 months to a year we are going to try things, fail, succeed and undoubtedly feel unprepared and useless. Hopefully we learn a few things. We are going to need to raise some money from both the US and Brazil to perhaps rent a building, buy games, feed people, who knows. We are going to need to build a team of helpers. We absolutely need to wait on the Lord and make sure what He is doing. In the end I hope we have touched some lives with the love of Jesus. I hope we can share the truth of His word with kids, teens, parents, friends and the hope that comes from a lifetime of obedience.

I feel like I have learned so much the last couple months and I can’t  wait to see what God teaches us next. Tim had suggested getting a ping pong table a while ago, someone said I have legs, Tim bought a $50 piece of MDF and I mad a table. He got a net and paddles and it transformed our church. We had problems with new people getting to know old people. Between a ping-pong table and me cooking some American foods on Wednesdays we have seen fellowship happen in a whole new way. Last night 30 or so people were hanging out at the church playing and watching ping pong. We left early and got home at mid-night. The pizza hadn’t even came yet.

God is teaching us to trust him. Build relationship, try things, trust simple ideas and learn to be free to say we need things. I didn’t want to ask for a car but I want to once again say thank you and it is a large factor in so many positive things happening. Before a car I couldn’t even get my tools to the church to make a ping pong table. We couldn’t get groceries and have energy left to go into a neighborhood to meet people.

You are all loved. We miss you all, especially yesterday. I long to be home and with you. However, we now are beginning to see what God has created us for. I challenge you, take risks, sacrifice your time and see how you can be blessed in the service of our savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment