Monday, June 13, 2011

Grace vs. Works?

It is clear God is leading us to work with kids and families by our house. It is equally clear we need help. As we begin the process of looking for that help I am challenged to think through and deal with a few issues. Works, Christian service, who, how often, gifts, calling, lots of things come into the effort of building a team to reach this neighborhood.

This morning as I read 1 Timothy I was thinking about grace. I had a conversation with a friend on facebook last night. She has consistently helped with the lunches on Saturday, going out and inviting people and is interested in helping with the kids on Sunday. She was telling me last night she comes from a point where she burned out, she is just now wanting to serve the Lord again. This is common here. Many churches put a heavy burden on people. They don’t know grace, all they know is go to church every day, help with everything, you have to serve, do what your pastor says, etc...

The worst part is I think it is based on truth but missing substance. Christianity is grace but it isn’t meant to be a party. Sometimes we see the pendulum swing. No more service but pizza every night, games, sports, bbq’s with friends. This is based on truth as well.

As I was sharing with her last night balance comes when we sacrifice our life for Him who gave all for us while doing things we like. I was explaining to her, I don’t want to put together a Children’s program with certain elements and then force people to cover those things. Rather I want to give a platform where you can come and do what you like to do but with kids who need love. This of course doesn’t mean we wont at times have to do things we don’t like. In my reading Paul is giving instructions to slaves to obey their masters, I don’t think being a slave is usually something you want.

kids day 002

I think Francis Chan has it right in Crazy Love. Approach it like you are approaching a future wife or husband. If you are a singer you will write music, if you are an artist you will paint pictures, I have made things for Melissa and watched my dad make and plant gardens for my mom. Use the talents you have out of love. The flip side of this would be you can’t say you love Jesus if you aren’t using your talents for Him. That isn’t about works to earn salvation or favor with God it is the simple reality that you can’t say you love what you don’t invest in.

We have to go through these questions ourselves. Why are we here, what should our schedule be like, how many times a week will we be with the kids? So many. I shared yesterday with the kids that the point of the miracle of loaves and fish is to put your faith in God not what you can see. Life is hard. We are being challenged with that. We have a little shortfall this month, I need to make a trip to Sao Paulo, get papers, finish residency, we would like to visit the states. I don’t see the money for any of these things. We just asked and received a car I don’t want to ask for more. Am I here because it is all going to be easy? No, I am here because Jesus first loved me and He loves the kids we are working with. How can I not sacrifice my life to come.

I have heard people say for many years I am not an evangelist, I don’t do kids ministry, I am called to make money and give, I am called to Africa and will serve God when I get there. The truth is if you aren’t using your gifts or doing anything you don’t know what your gifts or calling are. The truth is the kids we are working with are already in a type of hell and if we don’t do something they will be there eternally along with their kids and grandkids…….

Grace isn’t not having to do things. Grace is doing them because you love Jesus. Works isn’t serving Christ it is lovingly sacrificing your life for Him.

If grace leads you to spend your time, money, energy and so forth making your life here more comfortable it isn’t grace. If works makes you feel important and useful they don’t please God.

Working in grace is realizing Jesus gave all and working to see people come to Him as if their life depends on you. It is also going to sleep at night knowing if they go to hell it is their responsibility not yours. Your job and mine is to give every bit of time, money and energy we can to representing God’s kingdom here on earth. Not because we have to but because we can’t help it. Grace is also realizing it’s a marathon and taking a break when you need it so you can keep going.

I want to be able to tell you I am here because I love Jesus. In that sense a shortfall this month is purifying. I can’t be here for the money or to go out to eat because it’s not there. I can’t be here because it’s easy because I don’t know how it will work to keep these “ministries” going this month. I am looking beyond that knowing it is Jesus who is going to keep it going.

I want to see the people around me understand this. It isn’t because we are missionaries and have nothing else to do, but it is because Jesus loves these kids and he is trusting them to us. All we have to do is love them. Doing things we like with them whether it is playing futebol, dancing, crafts, building things from wood or just sitting with them gives us opportunity to touch the heart of God.

I would challenge you, are you impacting your neighbors, your co-workers, people in your city. Are you exhibiting love for Christ or love for self? Do you have to be a missionary or pastor to be used? If you aren’t an evangelist but an encourager couldn’t and shouldn’t that be used to point to Jesus?

If God is giving me these kids to love I will love them until He says go somewhere else. If I have to look for a job tomorrow and love them on the side I will still love them. I am not trying to work for my salvation, as I told a Jehovah's witness the other day that is a waste of time, I am trying to fall in love with Jesus. Try it with me, sacrificing your life for Him is rewarding, rejuvenating, worth it in every way and you will never regret it.

kids day 003

No comments:

Post a Comment