Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Great weekend

We really had a great weekend. Once again having a car is such a huge blessing, we have done more since we got it then the previous two months combined.

Friday I bought a basketball and took it to the boys prison with me. To the semi free part. I had played soccer with some of the guys from church and their friends the previous Monday. It had highlighted I am getting older and need to exercise anyhow so I thought I could add in a little sport with the boys there. It proved a good choice. Sport is a big part of the culture and really brings down walls. The place was quiet that day but I got to play 21 with a boy I hadn’t really met before. He was much more relaxed with us after that. Pray I get the opportunity to start going one evening a week or so, more of them are there then and I would like to just go play sports with them.

Currently I am writing this while watching Alannah improve her crawling. She is playing with a little ball and every time she drops it, it rolls of and she has to go get it. She kind of has a sideways crab crawl, almost sitting up. A little bit of normal in the midst of living in a foreign land.

Saturday we continue our lunch ministry at church. One of the students from semiar came. A Paraguayan, Ariel, he went with me up to the favela to invite people for lunch. He was obviously nervous but excited. He told me he had never been inside one before. So I drove into the middle told him to get out, invite people and meet me at the street up above. You can’t really explain what it’s like you just have to see, it is a little group of houses and shacks that people built on once vacant land. You can drive in some places but have to pick your way between houses in others. He lived, and was quite excited. It ended up raining and not to many people made it to the church. This provided another opportunity to go into the favela. One group of kids did come though, Melissa and Fabi were able to go through the wordless book with them and the boy prayed with them and took a bible. Also Nelson a guy that comes every week has started attending the church. God is really working in his life.

We packaged the food into some aluminum dishes called “marmitex” that are used to sell lunches to go here. Melissa and I loaded up the van with Gabriel, a guy who almost made my heart explode in Jiu-jitsu last night read more later, Fabi a girl from church who has been helping a lot and Ariel. We took some to the vacant lot that we went to the week before. We were able to give some food to a few women and again who I think was a pimp. We were even able to pray for Carmen, one of the women who was there. It is really heart breaking, they were all obviously high, even the women who was about 5 months pregnant and living under a bit of plastic.

After that we took some food inside the favela and gave it too three diferent families. It is amazing the difference when you go to someone’s house then when you have them come to the church. They are natural, comfortable, friendly versus shy, nervous and guarded. I really want to spend more effort getting inside and getting to know people. God is capable of offering these kids so much more, He desires to fill them with His Spirit and use them. It is so hard to see families living that way. One very little house had to families crammed into it. Many of the people go out with a push cart and dig recycling out of the trash bins on the street to make a living. After Gabriel and I left one house we came back to find Melissa and Fabi praying for another lady. This was our best day of ministry since we have been here. The closest to what we want. The best part was taking middle class Brazilian and Paraguayan Christians and showing them there is nothing to fear when you are ministering with God.

Sunday was a bit hard. We always seem more homesick on Sundays. Church was good, but it just seems like you always have a hard day after a great day.

Yesterday I (Ben) went to with some guys from church and got together wood to build a rain awning. When it rains you have to walk through a waterfall to get in. We got it framed up in the afternoon but I need to go tomorrow and put the roof panels on.

After that I went and played soccer with the guys again. I actual played well this week. I really hope to start playing twice a week. We also are hoping to get a basketball hoop for the church. Sports here are very important and a huge part of building relationship with people. I am just starting to see that.

After that, Almost 11pm, I went and tried out Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I don’t know if I will end up liking it or not. I am a natural wrestler but didn’t really no what to do with the guy even when I had position. No one else was hitting anyone so I knew it wasn’t UFC rules, I tried chocking him but he didn’t give up. Then my heart almost exploded and I started to have an asthma problem and quit like a big wuss. I really thought I was going to have  a heart attack, what an amazing work out. It re-highlighted my need to be more serious about my health. I went running today, I guess it is time to get in better shape. I don’t want my health to prevent me from sharing the gospel.

One prayer concern is I have been having a lot of problems with insomnia lately. It seems to be effecting my overall health. I haven’t had a normal nights sleep in a couple of weeks now. Also pray for the kids to really get comfortable with Portuguese, especially Moriah. Also pray from Melissa to find more opportunities. She did meet a mom from the school who speaks English and is having some hard things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment