Monday, May 23, 2011

God is moving, time to guard our hearts

Wow, we had a real breakthrough this weekend. Saturday we have been doing lunch at church for people from the street, or whoever needs help. We had focused a lot of our efforts inviting people in the heart of the slum or off the street corners. This last Saturday I took Jerus and Ariel two blocks past the heart of the favela to a semi new area. It is hard to explain, unless you live in Albany, but the neighborhoods here change block to block dramatically. There were an astonishing amount of kids out playing. We got out and handed out flyers door to door. We always approach by asking if they know someone who needs help, that way they don’t feel looked down on.

We went on to our normal neighborhood and then the streets around Centro. When we got back to church a couple of our normal were already there. As I got them sat down and food I seen the first group of kids approaching. I went out and welcomed them in. A minute later another group came around the corner.

As that group of 8 or 9 finished eating I taught them to through an American football and began playing with them. Next thing we know a Chevy, cavalier basically, drove up with 10 or more people in it. Then more came. Really, it was amazing the turn out. I continued to play with the kids including our kids and the Roger’s kids. Several moms had came and sat talking with a few ladies from church. There was such a large group we set up a microphone so I could share a little with all of them at once. Normally we stick to one on one.

After that taste of the Gospel and our style of church I gave a group a ride home. Many of them expressed interest in coming to a service at church Sunday and I agreed to pass by and pick up whoever wants to go.

When I returned another girl had came. She really looked dirty, depressed and hurting. Melissa told me her and some of the other girls were talking to her and found out she had just left her house because her boyfriend was drunk and getting abusive. She had the cutest 3 month old boy, I wanted to take him and tell her to go on. She was only 17, they were both so dirty. She expressed some interest in changing but also looked reluctant to take serious action. We prayed with her, shared with her, tried our best to love her and give her contact information for a pastor in Paraguay. It was very interesting for me to share in Portuguese and have it translated to Spanish. Hopefully the Holy Spirit was somewhere in that process.

The day was really exciting. We have done the wordless book with kids the last two weeks and I plan to try and add a kids program at the end this Saturday. Pray God leads the growth of this ministry.

Sunday when I went to pick up those who wanted to go to church many of them got shy and ran to hide behind their houses. It was funny. I didn’t go away though and after a while one mom and five kids decided to go. Christiana, Rafael, Pamaula, Paula, Erika, and I am sure one more. I believe they are scouts, they said they enjoyed it and I pray Wednesday and next Sunday more come.

I believe God is guiding us to a neighborhood where Melissa and I can have an impact. I believe he wants us to go there more, do some of the things on our hearts, impact some children, mothers, dads. I also believe we need to be careful not to start thinking to highly of ourselves, of our ministry, of our impact. This is a time to guard our hearts and thank God for the door he is opening.

Love you all, thank you all, miss you all

Pray for our continued growth in language, as a family, spiritually. Pray for our health as we are noticing some areas we need to be careful. Pray for continued financial provision as we have had to increase the amount we draw from shepherd’s staff. God is good, big and faithful. We want to do good work and trust Him.

 

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment