Monday, February 14, 2011

First week of School

This week seems to have gone bye fast and yet sometimes extremely slow for me (Melissa). Ben and I have been praying about the children's schooling for quite some time. God has been faithful in answering these prayers since Moriah first started at Albany Christian School, and then the other two. I have enjoyed these last seven months with the kids so much. Teaching kids from home is not for the faint at heart. I have gained a new respect for mothers and fathers homeschooling their kids. Ben and I felt that we needed our kids to really be a part of Brazil. Attending school here was a big step toward this. The schools in Brazil are a little different than the states. Their school year is from February to December. Summer vacation is when the us is in the middle of winter, in other words opposite to the states. They have a morning class from 7:30 am to 11:30 am and then another group of kids from 1:30 to 5:30 pm. Our kids go at 1:30. Most people that work in Brazil have a 2 hour lunch break in the middle of the day because this is most peoples biggest meal. So of course you need time for a nap.  Daniel and Juliah were very excited at the thought of going to school. Moriah was a very nervous mostly not knowing the language, but also having attended the same school her whole life. I was both excited and a little nervous my self. Were the kids going to be nice, are they safe( even though I can see them at recces) all I could picture was the movie Karate kid. Kids being mean and teachers not caring. God is so good though, none of it was true. They did very well and the kids in the school were very helpful to Moriah and Daniel and Juliah.  Their first day, I was home alone with the baby and prayed like never before. I felt like I wanted to be  like a mother hen, you could say, and protect my kids, from what, I didn’t

know . Did I really trust God, I kept praying. Realizing I don’t do this enough for my kids. Today was their 3rd day Let’s just say I did better I still prayed but I know this is what God has for this moment. We are still planning on teaching them some  subjects in English at home, so they stay with their class. However, for now learning the Language is most important. I’m going to let Moriah tell  you her view of School in Brazil.

 

Uhhhhh…. I think that school here is fun. When we first went there I was so scared I don’t think I even said bye. I got in line and went inside my classroom. I had no idea what to do so I sat at a random desk. (here they don`t have names on the desks.) Then the teacher came in and some boy yelled there`s someone new! The teacher said hi and asked “You speak English right?” (in Portuguese) I said yes. She smiled and said do you have school supplies? and I said no. so she went to the closet and pulled out a notebook for me to use and told me a better place to sit. The teacher walked over to the board and started writing. A girl in front of me named Victoria opened my book and pointed to the top of the page. I had no idea what she meant but I started writing what the teacher was writing which apparently was what I had to do. I had no idea what I was writing. (and still don`t) Later that day Victoria asked me if I wanted to play with her at recess and I said yes so at recess I played with her, Aunie Victoria, and another girl who I keep forgetting her name. But from now on Victoria helps me with school work and with figuring out what to do.

                                 Thank You everyone who prayed for me…..

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, I love hearing about how it went. Your kids are very brave, more than I would be I think! (And you too Melissa, that would definitely be hard!) We were definitely praying hard...lots of us from ACS were! :)Love you guys and we are so proud of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! That is so awesome. It is never easy at first, it just isn't. I still remember when my mom dropped me off at boarding school. I was 7 years old, we'd been in Kenya for less than a month and I was scared to death. I didn't see her for 3 months. Thank God you don't have to send them to boarding school! What a brave beautiful girl you are Moriah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I am proud of you and the kids too. I will be praying for them and you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you melissa and moriah for helping us understand some more of how you feel and what new things you are being challenged with; and, most importantly of how you are trusting God and He is faithful to you. It helps us back here in the states to grow in our faith too! love you all so much and am very, very proud of how well you are doing in Brasil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, you guys! Moriah, I love you SO much. You're an amazing writer. You and Mommy both show us so much through words. :) I love that you took a guess about what you were supposed to do. Good job stepping out in faith - writing in Portuguese (even though you don't understand yet!), speaking to your teacher, meeting new friends. I can't wait to read more from you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa and Moriah, I am proud of you both. I know that our Loving Heavenly Father is watching over you and will continue to. He is blessed by your obedience to serve Him and He will reward you as you stay faithful to Him.
    Lyons family, we love you and are praying for you.
    With much love, Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is a beautiful post- so glad that both of you were brave enough to take the chance and I am sure that it is going to pay off. Moriah, you are going to learn Portuguese so much faster and Melissa you are going to trust the Lord with your children so much more!!!! God is good all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read a long string of your posts really good to hear how things are going and what is going on the updates are great. Look forward to seeing more and will be PM you soon.

    ReplyDelete