Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Adoption

We are orphans in this nation. We are not Brazilian, not even South American. Foreigners in the camp and have been treated that way, by good hosts. Welcomed, loved by most, enjoyed but not adopted. Not taken in. Our neighbor’s were largely uninterested in knowing us, many of them had lived on this street 30 years and we were American’s renting this house likely to leave. It all changed last week.

The kids started school and we met a few people. The school supervisor’s mom lives 2 houses down. Most of the kid’s on our street go there. Word got around that the American kids were in the school. All of a sudden we are no longer just visitors, not just people here for a moment and doors opened. We have begun to be adopted by our community. Neighbors introducing themselves to us. Asking if we need anything. People who didn’t talk to us before now want to include us in their lives. I am so thankful we decided to place the kids in school. We are learning that the costs of embracing the culture beyond the surface pay big dividends.

We are trying to take advantage of this. I am starting an English practice group, to discus philosophy, culture, music. I both can build relationship with many of the young people, they all study English, but also am learning about Brazil. Their culture, how they think, what’s important to them. When our neighbor’s ask about us and why we are here I always mention it. They always have a son, a daughter, a nephew that needs practice. The family that owns a local coffee shop has interest, it is a great open door.

I also tell them about going to Ciaade, the prison. That continues to go well. I felt this last Friday was a real breakthrough personally. Not necessarily in the boys but in my own heart. I feel more confident then ever God is faithful and will continue to seek them long after I loose hope. I do think it is beginning to click for some of them but it is a long process. These are boys who murder without regret.

Also at church we have begun making lunch on Saturdays for street people. We made about 60 lunches, 5-10 came and got one. We distributed the rest around the community. There are so many people in need here. It is everywhere. One of these days I will get brave and take pictures in the favela. Maybe from a car when I can speed away.

Telling our neighbors about these things helps us build relationship. It is also an indicator that despite how I sometimes feel my Portuguese is improving. Having a purpose here let’s us build relationship with them without them wondering if we want something from them or are criminals.

I am excited to see how we can continue to learn and grow. If God ever does lead us further and deeper into missions as we suspect He is what we are learning now is priceless. If we can’t connect with a culture similar to our own, we can’t hope to connect with the tribal people or other sub groups around us. Much less a very different African, Asian, or who know what other country.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Ben! Glad to hear how they are adopting you and the family. I'm thrilled to see the amazing progress you and Melissa are making. I'm sure you have a hard time seeing it from your vantage point but...from here it is wonderful.

    Keep pressin' in to Jesus and the culture!!

    Love you guys,

    David

    ReplyDelete