Friday, February 17, 2012

Coming together

It was at least 4 years ago we began to feel it was time to close the business and begin preparing to go into full time missions. It was something that had always been in our hearts but we had a bit of things to go through first. It seemed like it took us a long time to get where we are now.

There were times in Foz where it seemed like things were taking off. With the kids in the Favela I often thought it would lead to a church plant or a youth ministry but it never quite satisfied. It felt like it would have been settling and yet we knew it was what God had for the moment. There was much to do with Alannah being born, getting residency, attempting to learn a language que e' bem dificil.

When we arrived here in Corumba time began to stand still, in a good way. It often stood still in foz but in the what am I going to do today kind of way. Here we are busy, all the time, but it feels like we have been here forever when it has barely been three months. It is the kind of forever that is good, wonderful and peaceable.

Recently we have first been busy getting the kids going in school, our good friend Buster, another American crazy enough to live here, brought us. We are using a computer based homeschool program. It is easy to monitor and the kids enjoy it. We are trying to put a good priority on setting up the house. We bought a freezer, a cabinet for under the TV, bookshelves and I built a desk. I couldn’t find material to build a plywood desk so I bought two interior doors and they worked good.

We also got another opportunity to go out to Porto Esperanca, but this time alone. It was exciting to see what our family would react like in that environment without a guide. We had been there before and there are some decent people there in the church but it is still a little intimidating.

I told them to do the service like they normally would if no one came out. I didn’t have a guitar with me and am not in practice, I can’t sing anyhow. I didn’t have a translator, we didn’t have a plan, we just wanted an idea where they are at. They asked me to preach, I had been prepared too, or so I thought. After a nice visit with them in the afternoon the service time arrived. They took turns leading a little music and reciting a scripture, often giving a bit of a fire and brimstone sermonette they had heard. It got a little chaotic and all over the place. By the time it was my turn I could no longer speak Portuguese much less preach. I think I did terrible, I couldn’t understand me how could they. Sadly it showed the lack of discipleship that has been done over the years. They do there best, I loved their hearts to lead worship and be together but they need better understanding of the story of God, the word of God. It was evident earlier in the day that they don’t have a great heart for evangelism but instead look at their neighbors as “sinners”.

The best part was seeing Melissa and the kids realize church would go forever and take all the kids back to do a Sunday school. I love seeing her get more confident and take charge of creating ministry opportunities. Tomorrow she is having all the neighborhood girls over again. After I shared we did have one boy come forward for prayer that I believe was wanting to give his life to the Lord. It really was a bit long and chaotic. Melissa did great keeping little kids busy while one of her own hung off her.

Daniel and I got a chance to go on what thankfully wont be a once in a lifetime fishing trip even though it should be. What amazing beauty. As we went down river fishing I noticed remote Fazenda (ranch) after ranch. I believe we will be spending a lot of time out getting to know some simple people who need Jesus. When we got back we ate popcorn piranha and bbq cow. Next time he said he will buy a gun in Corumba so we can hunt an alligator at night.

Last night we had the chance to meet Walter and Carol Ponder. He is a retired pastor who has realy only changed jobs. He is building churches in Brazil. He is building them in remote locations, trying to raise a million dollars to build another 40 before he quits. He had the opportunity to build one for a semi local tribe. The chief had been saved as a kid and prayed 38 years for a church and a pastor to come to him.

They blessed us with a restaurant bought lunch, we didn’t have to cook today. Then I got to go look at a potential project site here in Ladario. In a very, very poor neighborhood. I got to meet the pastor of the church who has started the work there. I think both these men are good contacts.

Thank you all so much for being behind us keeping us here. Your prayers and finances really do reach far. We are planning a trip home in July to share more specific vision and what we need to have a greater impact here. Be praying and perhaps saving to see how you can touch more lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment