Friday, November 18, 2011

an outsiders perspective

I love Brazil, I love the people, weather, food and how simple life is here.In Corumba people sit in chairs outside their houses sometimes all day drinking terere and watching life go by. I’ve often wondered why so many do this. Is it because it’s to hot in their houses or they enjoy watching the kids play in the streets. The more I learn the culture here the more I can begin to understand and become like them. My theory is that they sit outside their house to say “Hey I’m here I’m available to talk to if you want, I’m friendly and want to connect with you”. As an American living here we tend to want to do the opposite. Run in our houses turn on the T.V. or computer be with our family not knowing that it probably comes across as “ I don’t want company, I’m not friendly and leave me alone. I remember when I was a kid growing up in the mid west people would sit in their lawn chairs on the front porch and everybody new each other. Somehow things have changed, we tend to stay in our houses and we never really get to know our neighbors. Maybe I’m wrong  but as Christians shouldn’t we be “available” shouldn’t I be more friendly willing to sit out on the street and say “hey I’m here if you want to talk or share some terere”. I’m sensing that here in Corumba I will be alone a lot tending to the kids, cleaning, cooking and helping with the kids school. So far the ministry that we see is to dangerous for the kids, or on a boat that doesn’t fit all of us, or to late at night. Eventually there will be family ministry for us or a boat our whole family can be on but for now Ben must be the one who goes out to the drug addicts prostitutes or whoever else. As a mom and a missionary I’m asking God where my place is? I know it’s first of all a wife and a mother but I have a burning desire to help, to pray and to love people. So back too my first thoughts. The Lord brought this to my attention, am I willing to step completely out of my comfort zone. To sit on the street in front of my house and be available for my neighbors. To visit them to introduce myself and to bring food to them and to pray for them. I want to be willing Lord..

    Last night I was able to meet one of the mothers of a couple of girls that come to our gate and beg for Juliah to come and play. I got the chance to sit with her in front of her house and chat for some time. I found out she has 15 kids yes that’s right 15 kids 1o grandkids and has been married for 32 years. We got to talk about the culture here and where she works. The states and Barak Obama, everybody loves talking about him. I then meet some of her daughters and a son and some of her grandkids. I was able in the end to tell her my testimony about what the Lord has done in our marriage. That with out Him and His grace we would not be married and we would definitely not be living in Brazil. She listened and I pray that even though I speak horrible Portuguese that I somehow was able to shed a little light on how big God’s grace is and his love for us.

I have been meeting more and more of the neighbors here the last couple of days and sharing some terere with them. What I really want is a natural friendship, nothing fake or awkward just simple friends and being able to share all the things God has done in my life.  Can’t we all be used like? Reaching out to our neighbors being willing to stop what we are doing and just talk to them. Maybe you do, if so you are far ahead of me.Smile

5 comments:

  1. Wow! This is awesome, Melissa. Your words have brought me to tears. I love the real life ministry God's showing you. I pray God will show you even more, and that He would surprise you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you for sharing! You will be used, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote beautifully and the sentiment was wonderful. a good reminder of what our lives SHOULD look like. I know God is going to use you right where you are, doing what you do best,loving the women on your street. God bless you as you listen....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you sis! Great comments and I am so happy that God is using you right now and in that neighborhood so many miles away from your roots. It just goes to show that God is faithful to use you and your family wherever you are!

    Praying for you all!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are so right about hiding in our houses, wanting to be with our own little families. That takes a lot of effort to step out there! You guys are doing great! We love you!

    ReplyDelete