Monday, April 11, 2011

Appreciation

I want everyone who prays and supports us to know how much we appreciate you. I grew up in and around missions. I believe most missionaries are worth more support than they get. It is a hard job and you give up a lot of relationships and security to do it. I am not asking for more support, God blesses and takes care of us. Our faith is in Him.

What I want to say is I have also spent 10 years of marriage living the “normal” life. I know that financially speaking it is much more difficult. Month after month going to a job you often don’t love to pay the bills so you can do it again is stressful. Marriage is hard, life leaves you little time for it. Kids are busy with sports and their school always has an event or a conference. We may have to give up some comforts but God gives us an awareness of being secure in Him. I believe it is an extra grace in the midst of giving up a lot.

As a missionary you can get the idea that money comes easy and people at “home” should just step up and help you. You can think of how much easier life would be if you just had a job. Maybe other missionaries won’t relate but I find these to be untrue mental battles I face. I remember being in Ywam before living the normal and struggling more with this. I have met missionaries over the years that don’t understand this. We need to be thankful that we get to live the life we do, to have the pleasure of knowing each day we are working with the Lord.

I think going out as a missionary you have already abandoned yourself to the sovereignty of God. It helps you deal with the insecurity each month wondering if the money you need will come in. I find it is harder to accept I am worth the money then it is to trust God to bring it in.

The truth is we are all missionaries but Melissa and I have the privilege to live on a foreign field. We want to tell all the missionaries in Albany, Kansas City, Boston, Corvallis we love and appreciate you. We know you go every day to jobs in a non Christian environment, you deal with co-workers who live by a different spirit. You deal with the mundane, you sacrifice as much as we do. Thanks for your dedication, your love, your commitment to your community that needs Jesus. Thanks for your witness. Keep going, keep fighting the fight. God is worthy.

You and I both live to the Glory of God. We exist to bring Him pleasure and to have relationship with Him. As we abandon ourselves to Him together I look forward to growing in partnership, growing in communication, growing as a missionary.

I know your money is hard earned and time is precious. We want to be faithful to invest your money in our education. Learning culture, learning language, growing together as a family spiritually so we can be ready for the step that is quickly approaching.

The time is at hand, we are seeking God and I know we are stepping into His purpose and His plans. God is going to use us together to impact the poor and hurting of Brazil one kid, one elderly person, one prisoner at a time. Whatever good we have done is as much a ministry of yours as ours.

 

Thanks, God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment